Monday, January 08, 2007

My reality

Since 24 hours I’m back in Europe. Back in the western reality.
The change silences the voice- the extrovert as well as the introvert. I feel holistically mute- and just my eyes move and observe- register.

As any person confronted with difference my mind seems confused- what is real? And that is not only an after effect from changing the geographical scenery.
It is a typical frequent travellers disease- you change the scenery but you take your reality with you.

At home I don’t tend to notice that my reality isn’t the same as that of my neighbours. Of course I find that some of my friends overreact concerning some situations, but I put it of as part of personality.

The problem arises when my reality collides with that of others. That usually happens when situations or way of life differs. The more difference, the harder the collusion.

Who hasn’t been annoyed with good friends who suddenly turn boring after becoming parents or after marrying? On the other hand, some all time bachelors seem to become increasingly weird with age. The home maker seems to lack understanding of some of the realities of life and the friend who started to work is suddenly much less adventurous.

What happens if my reality is extraordinary, exotic and an adventure and collides with that of routine and everyday life and worries of others? They don’t get my passion; I don’t get their lack of time.

In another life of mine I used to room in with Peter, a flight attendant. Our greatest fight were about our reality mergers: Peter didn’t want exotic food at home; he didn’t want to go to a restaurant- all of that was working routine for him. On the other side, having a few days off in the middle of the week after a long trip, Peter just didn’t understand why all of his friends weren’t queuing up to see him- he was all available and ready to meet them. He never seemed to understand that our life continued in his absence and we couldn’t just stop it for him, once he was there.

My reality seems over important to me, so much that I often don’t see the reality of the other, or that I have to constantly remind me of the difference. I get frustrated if others fail to understand my world- my emotions don’t allow for different realities- they want to world to be just mine.

Thanks to all who came and merged their reality with mine for an instant in those recent weeks- through you I learn constantly about myself.

No comments: